Tuesday, January 17, 2012


Last week when I did the kids' make up for fake injury night at AWANA little did I know, that in just a few days it would be a reality.
After a fabulous morning with some of our favorite people, we were thinking it was time to go when I heard a terrible thud from the living room. I glanced up to see Ender face down on the metal bar of the infant swing. He had been standing up on the traveling swing (very close to the ground) when he swing swung out from under him and he fell face down. It was bleeding profusely and when I pulled the paper towel away to assess the damage all I could muster was "it's bad." Jammie jumped to action with a cool wash cloth, m&ms, steri strips, ice pack and acetaminophen. The older kids obediently got their coats and shoes on and we headed straight for urgent care. It took forever at the doctor because they had to put numbing salve on his eye and then wait 20 minutes, then reapply and wait another 20 minutes (but it was always more). Even applying the salve was an ordeal because it was so close to his eye, they weren't sure if they should even use it. Then the doctor came in and explained to me that they were going to "papoose" him and "fix him up". Basically wrap him in a blanket and strap him down to a board to he couldn't move. The doctor explained that I should take the other kids out of the room so that if they should ever need to return to urgent care they wouldn't have this horrible memory of their brother's experience. I completely agreed with her, but let me tell you, it was complete torture handing over my baby to the nurse and doctor knowing the pain he would be going through without me. The doctor was very loving and assured me she'd sing to him and be very loving. We went to the waiting room where we could still hear his blood curdling scream. It wasn't too long before we were allowed back in the room. Sweet little Ender was drenched in sweat and trying to catch his breathe but stayed content in the doctor's arms even as she filled me in on what they had done. It was a crocked injury and she had to sew very close to the eye but everything about his actual eye looks fine. He may have a scar. It's been a long day. An experience like this is definitely draining. The first stitches ever in our family. I've never even had stitches! Poor little guy. Here are a few photos and I'll put some more from the clinic experience when I have more energy. Please be praying for a thorough and quick healing with out any infection! This little guy is quite a trooper.


Chloe @ A Creative Call said...

I can't imagine.

Christ follower said...

Oh, Alyssa! It is so hard to go through what you all went through! I am SO glad his eye looks ok, it was so close! Tell him Grandma and Papa love him!

heidi said...

Oh my gosh!! How scary! What a traumatic and dramatic day!!! :(
So thankful that his eye is ok!!!!

Admin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.